About Me

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cool Things

On Saturday I served a famous hockey player and his wife! I didn't realize it until they had left though. Still cool, we had a funny chat about a weird lady dancing to her ipod at the bar ;)

On Sunday a Deaf couple came in. They sat in my section. I went up to them not realizing they were Deaf and asked them how they were. No response, I asked again and then the girl looked up at me and told me they were Deaf. I don't know why but it actually surprised me. I told them that I knew a little bit of sign language and they ordered their drinks.

I came back and they ended up sitting at another table on the patio, I took their orders and brought them their food, asked them if everything was okay. Later I was clearing their plates and the girl asked me how I knew sign language, I told them that my grandparents were Deaf. I asked if they were from the area and they said no, that they were from Toronto. They asked if I was from the area and I told them the name of my town. They said it was nice to meet me and I said it was nice to meet them too. Short conversation and I took their plates back to the kitchen. There my manager said, "I just saw what you did and that was AMAZING!! I didn't know you could do that." I didn't realize he had been watching at all and it kind of made my day that he said something. It felt pretty good to be able to use my ASL at work.

Another thing that happened yesterday was I was travelling to work. I was going up this huge hill in an 80km/hr zone, going about 95km/hr and this guy was right behind me. Seemed like he was in some sort of a rush, just waiting to be able to pass me. Anyway, on the hill I saw something on the road and straddled it with my wheels, as I passed over it I noticed it was a turtle trying to cross the road, it still had a lane and a half to go. The guy behind me also straddled the turtle, then he pulled over to the side of the road, reversed his car, stopped and got out to help the turtle across the road. I just love people sometimes!

5 comments:

  1. Wow that's great that you know sign language! I'm sure that made the couple love the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Friends Daughter also signs it was considered her second language when she became a Virgin Airlines air Hostess.
    Great that you got the thanks from your Boss a lot of people tend to steer away from people with special needs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a lady pull over and carry a huge turtle across the road a couple of weeks ago, made me so happy and I hoped she got lots of good karma out of it lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as a foreign land.
    Flights to Harare
    Cheap Flights to Harare
    Cheap Air Tickets to Harare

    ReplyDelete