About Me

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

What To Do?

Sunday night was a GM meeting at the restaurant I work at. They closed down the patio to all customers and it was just for the GMs. I worked with two other girls in our small section and most of the bills were paid for by the restaurant. We hardly made any tips. For a 7 hour night, we made $28 each. Some of the other girls made pretty good money.

Last night was supposed to be the same thing. Servers decided to pool tips based, 4 girls would do one half and pool together, and same with the other half. Then it was decided later that no, we were all going to keep our own tips. I think the reason for this was because other servers saw what I saw. Girls were taking shots with the GMs, sitting down and chatting and just not doing their job.

It was frustrating to see some girls do this. I did make fairly good money though. I made over $200 from one table alone. Their bill was completely covered by the restaurant. It was just under $1000 and almost all drinks. I feel bad making money like that since I know most of the other girls made around or even under $50.

I feel like I should give some money to the girls who did do their job. Or at least the ones that helped me out and didn't get very good tips. The restaurant said that they would cover us if people didn't tip well, but I don't know if that is actually going to happen or not. I feel like I should help out this one girl who helped me clear tables, and the bartender. I also feel like I should help this girl who was not in my section just because she worked hard and I don't think she received many tips. I don't know if I should though, maybe I will wait to see if the restaurant is going to help out the girls that did not make much.

I worked my butt off yesterday and seeing some of the girls just socializing was annoying at the least. One bartenders also gave me $20 to show his appreciation for helping them out. I sort of feel like I should do the same? Hmmm.

5 comments:

  1. Your mind is in the right place and if you are certain they didn't make much in tips it's your choice if to help out or not. In the restaurant business though some nights you will get good nights and some nights you will get bad, you never know if you are going to get a bad night this week. I would say wait and see if the restaurant does cover you all but if some of the girls really did make a big difference in helping you out I think it's cool to share some of you tips with them.

    I would be supremely pissed at those girls who weren't working so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shane said when he worked bussing tables, if he hustled and did a great job for the servers, they would always tip out to him at the end of the night from their tips.

    I think it's a great thing that you want to share some of your tips with those that helped you out. I don't think it has to be much, just a bit to let them know you appreciated the help.

    I have never been a server, so I may just be out in left field on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rafiki. See if the restaurant will do anything. If not, I'd politely speak to the restaurant manager and remind him/her of the promise as it's unfair to some staff members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of restaurant is this?? It sounds very unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a really busy chain restaurant. It's a family restaurant with a bar, dining room and patio.

    I haven't given anything to anyone yet. I still feel like I should to at least the one girl. I am still going to wait to see if the restaurant gives anything to those that worked those two nights. I think people are going to complain if nothing is done.

    ReplyDelete