About Me

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Expensive Habits


Everyone has these. I love eating out and I enjoy buying the occasional video game or book. If you look at it though these habits can add up to a lot over the course of a year!!

My dad smokes (gross and expensive habit), he spends approximately $7 a day on smokes. That is $2555 over a year! Yuck!

Alcohol is another big one. Although I will usually only drink twice a month, those that drink more it can add up. A case of beer (or a nice bottle of wine) is about $35 and doing that every weekend is $1820 for the year. Then going out for drinks at at least $5 each on top of that, not including cover and coatcheck.

Who is a big coffee/latte drinker? At about $4 a day that's $1460 just in drinks for a year!

DVD or Blueray collectors? It's hard to keep up with the changing forms! Or do you enjoy going to the show each week? Buying a DVD or going out to a theatre each week for $20 is $1040 for a year. Doesn't even include popcorn and drinks!

Another expensive habit that a lot of people have (myself included) is eating out. I do not enjoy packing a lunch, but a typical lunch is $5-10 not including gas expenses. I do splurge occasionally on a lunch or dinner, or delicious snack! Spending just $50 a week in eating out is $2600 for a year.

Books! I am a big collector of children's books. I have spent more money on them then I wish to calculate. If I spend $10 a week on books, that's over $500 for the year. Yikes! I don't even have kids, or a classroom haha.

What about clothes, shoes, jewellery, make-up, furniture, gambling, golf, dry cleaning, computer/video games, sports, etc.

Wow the cost of life sure is expensive. But it's good to know what you are spending your money on, and see if you really can afford it. If you can, then go for it, if it's cutting into other expenses or savings maybe it's a good time to look at cutting a few things back a bit. Maybe only go out for lunch/supper one day a week? Or making your own hot chocolate/coffee at home every other day. A book only once a month? May be tricky but I think I'm going to try a few in the new year. Everything I save from cutting back can be snowflaked into debt or savings.

Do you have any expensive habits?

6 comments:

  1. Yes I have tons of expensive habits. Eating out (always... I barely food shop)... going shopping for clothes, etc. I need to stop. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eating out is definitely my vice. Food & Groceries totalling to $2,500 for 2009 alone. (Although in my defence, on average, that's down from last year which I spent $250/month compared to this year at $200/month). I'm definitely going to be more conscientious of my spending habits next year. EEP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee. For me, definitely coffee.

    I once saw an YSL totebag in a magazine and loved it. The cost? Over $600. I got a bit bummed thinking I could NEVER afford a bag like that. Then, I did the math. It turned out I spent WELL over $600 at Starbucks. If I gave up my mochas, I could have a couture bag. Meh, not worth it.

    It did disgust me that I spent so much money on coffee so I have cut back. No more espresso drinks, just regular drip coffee.

    Recently I did the math and figured that if I gave up my daily coffee break, I could afford a smart phone and corresponding data plan. Hmmm... coffee or an iPhone... Who am I kidding, of course I would pick coffee.

    I know a lot of PF bloggers think it's silly to waste money on coffee but my afternoon coffee break is very important to me. I have a stressful job and it's nice to take short break, drink some warm, creamy, caffeinated goodness, and enjoy some me time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to eat out alot for dinner I still pack a lunch for work but eating out is my expensive habit. the question is what is the best way to break these habits?

    regards,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is certainly shopping for clothing (although that's on a ban for all of 2010), buying electronics and eating candy.. lots of candy.

    Other than that, no real spendy areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to go out for Starbucks!

    My favorite drinks this time of year!

    My wife and I are trying to quit or reduce our Starbucks intake.

    ReplyDelete