About Me

Monday, May 17, 2010

Calling In Sick

I'm sick. I felt it coming on yesterday and then this morning when I woke up it was not good. I was not going to be able to teach today. I waited about 15 minutes and then at 6:30 I called in sick. Hopefully they were able to find another supply teacher. I felt bad, I HATE calling in sick. But as a teacher I think it's good when the teacher calls in sick to avoid other kids and teachers also catching the cold.

It's also too bad because now I have lost out on a day of work. You work, you get paid. You don't work, you don't get paid. I slept for another 5 hours and then had some lunch. I'm feeling A LOT better now and hopefully will be able to work tomorrow. I can definitely use the money especially because next week is already cut short with the long weekend!

Do you get paid sick days? Do you call in sick often?

8 comments:

  1. I do get paid sick days but rarely take them. I just don't get sick very often! Our work has a program where you can donate your sick time to others who, due to some major event or illness, can't work. I just donated 40 hours (the limit for one year) since I have over 100 hours available to use and I don't forsee me using them anytime soon. And it's nice to help others out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the however many years I've been working, 10ish, I've called in maybe once a year...usually not though. This year though, since January I've called in 3 days becaue of the flu, and then another 3 because of strep throat. Luckily I get paid for my time off though, I'm so thankful for that.. I get 5 days/year and if they don't get used they get carried over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah we get 0.5 days for each month you have worked. So i have been full time for just over 2 years so I have about 12 days. I think i have used 1 so far. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get paid sick days here, given out at the beginning of each school year. I used some earlier this year when I had Fifths Disease but honestly, it's a lot of work to get ready for a supply teacher unless one is dolling out worksheets. Those days we're 'iffy' we usually still go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann that is so nice of you to donate your hours. I haven't heard of that before.

    Jolie I totally understand why you would go in if your iffy. I usually go in too if I think I can make it through the day. I need the $. I know it's a lot of work preparing lessons for supply teachers, and sometimes not everything gets done the way you would want it. It's just easier to go in a bit under the weather. I'd do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i get sick time and if i'm sick i call in sick. i cannot stand being at work with sick people, so i don't do it to others.

    donating sick time is a very interesting idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get paid when I'm sick. I get 6 days fully paid each year and then as much more as I need at 75% pay until I'm gone long enough to need Long Term Disability which covers 65% (I think). Let's hope it never gets to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a teacher but in my profession (medical), being part time means no sick day benefits. If I call in sick, I lose my day's pay. It sucks, but when you're sick, you're sick. I have had quite a few sick days this year - at least 5 already... and at $350 per day it's a lot of money to sacrifice!

    Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better and back to work soon. Healing hugs going out your way!

    ReplyDelete