About Me

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Financial Milestones For Your 20s

I got this from Shoe.Gal.

#1 – Finance a dream vacation…in cash

Yes! I got back almost a month ago (already!?) from Dominican Republic with D. Okay maybe it's not a DREAM vacation but it was pretty awesome and it was paid for completely in cash.

#2 – Pay off your student loans

I owed $32,000 when I graduated and it's all paid off now...finally. It took a lot of work on a very low income and a little help from my brother (who I paid off with interest) but it got done. I really don't like accumulating interest.

#3 – Automate paying your credit card bill in full

I don't have it automated. I actually like doing it manually for now. But I have never had to pay anything in interest since I pay it off each month so I'm going to say I've met this milestone too.

#4 – Get rid of all bad debt

Got rid of all debt (good and bad) this summer when I finally paid the remainder of my family loan.

#5 – Build an adequate emergency fund

This one is still sort of a work-in-progress. On any given day my emergency fund ranges from $1500-$2000. Ideally I would have it at around $5000, but I have other goals I would prefer to reach first. What I have now is definitely adequate for my circumstances.

#6 – Make your first, and last, investment mistake

Still need to do this one. I really haven't invested at all. Will look more into this one.

#7 – Develop a statement of cash flows

I do this on a pretty regular basis by tracking spending and savings.

#8 & 9 Max out a RRSP & Contribute to your TFSA

Neither are maxed out. I don't make enough to max them out. But I have started both. I have almost $7000 in my TFSA and $1000 in my RRSP. Small now but they were only started last year and I have goals to increase both of them this year.

#10 – Get a degree or certification that increases your earning power

I have two (BA and BEd). They aren't exactly increasing my earning power right now but they will and they currently allow me to supply teach. I love teaching :)

#11 – Take a career risk

Haven't done this, but I've barely started my career.

#12 – Negotiate something

Nothing major yet. I plan on trying this for the next car I purchase. However I DID negotiate several souviner items in Dominican.

#13 – Earn your first side grand

I wouldn't say it's a side-grand since I worked at the Rec Centre before I started teaching. I HAVE earned more than a grand doing things OTHER than teaching. But it's pretty necessary when you are only supply teaching. I have advertised more for tutoring in the last week so hopefully something comes from that as well.

#14 – Start a sub-savings account for an upcoming financial goal

I have a bunch of these. They excite me. I have a Christmas fund, travel fund and computer fund. Last year I was able to fully fund Christmas without having to go into any debt. It was fabulous and I plan on always doing it now.

#15 – Set a target retirement date

I haven't really thought about this one. I'm guessing at least 60 though. We'll see where things are then.

#16 – Monitor your credit

Yep! I track my credit on a fairly regular basis (weekly).

#17 – Say no to a financial salesman

Yah, I say no more than I say yes for sure.

#18 – Give just enough to make it hurt

No not yet. I will work on this one though and want to give more of my time as well.

Two Milestones for the Over Achiever


#19 – Invest $1 for every $1 you spend

Nope!! But this year I am hoping to save more than a spend. Even in saving accounts that I know I will spend before the year is over (i.e. Christmas fund). However this does depend on whether I move out this year, and whether I buy a car this year.

#20 – Start a 529 College Savings Plan

No, kids are not on my mind right now. Will start this once a kid is actually born.

Overall, not too bad. There are definitely things I can work on and things I can start but it's not too bad for where I am right now. How do you stack up??

1 comment:

  1. You have done an amazing job of organizing your finances, well done.
    i,m sure you will reach every one of your goals.

    ReplyDelete