About Me

Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Call Me Steve Jobs...

Okay, maybe Bill Gates since I have a PC.

But today I heard a rattling sound in my laptop's fan and then all of a sudden my fan stopped working. Not good when you have a laptop.

When I was in university, I had to get my laptop's fan replaced after 4 years and it cost about $150. So I was not looking forward to paying that again after only having this laptop for a year and a half.

Instead I decided to take out my toolkit I got for Christmas while in university (you would be surprised how many times I've used that thing!). I took out the battery and unscrewed some pieces in the back. Nope can't get to the fan that way. So I pulled off the keyboard and was able to get to the fan. Then I saw it....a screw was jamming the fan from moving. I wiggled it around and eventually tipped my computer upside down and it with the screwdriver was able to wedge it loose. It came out and I put everything back together and it works like a charm again.

Well not exactly perfect....this is Windows Vista we are talking about ;)

3 comments:

  1. where do you think that screw came from? Is something going to fall apart without it? Otherwise, I think that's brave and awesome for you to have fixed it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question!! I don't know! It looks like a laptop screw. But when I was inside of the computer I couldn't see anything and then I looked all along the outside and couldn't find anything either...I'm not sure but I don't think it's too important. I'll keep it around for a bit just in case though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How enterprising of you. I would be so scared to mess about in my PC, not having a technical bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete