About Me

Friday, January 21, 2011

Thinking About Going Back To School

I've been stuck in a rut. I love my job but unfortunately it is just not permanent enough, nor do I make enough doing this job.

My roommate suggested this Deaf Education program to me.

As some of you may remember I am interested in ASL (American Sign Language). My dad's parents are Deaf and so that helped me want to learn more about the language.

I have taken two ASL classes and loved them, I can't wait to take more.

Anyway back to the Deaf Education program. It's a program offered through York University in Toronto. It's available to teachers with at least a B average in Teacher's College. I had an A average. You have to have completed at least two ASL courses (I have bare minimum).

It's a full-time, one year program.

Did I mention it's FREE?? Tuition is free to Ontario teachers. I would need to cover accomodation, transportation and books.

It costs $50 to apply, and is a lot of paperwork (reference letters, essays, application). I am thinking about it, it doesn't hurt to at least apply.

I have looked more into the opportunities for Teachers of the Deaf. There seem to be some, but not a huge amount. Something to think about...

9 comments:

  1. You seem to have thought about this idea very carefully. I'd suggest, as I would anybody contemplating going back to school, to fully investigate the career growth opportunities that the education would bring. Even though it is free, you are losing on a years opportunity cost and living expenses. Not a huge deal as it is 1 year and tuition is free, but worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with My money, my life.

    It does sound fun though.....I'd love to talk with my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take anything that increases my skills and I enjoy, especially that it's FREE.

    Sign up now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you looked into job prospects with the course? I know a teacher in my board took the course (I think she took a leave?) and then when she finished the course, the board wouldn't let her have the "teacher of the deaf" job. It was very frustrating for her.

    Have you asked principals what AQ courses are more likely to get you hired?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who works at the university level as an ASL translator. He loves it because it is good money and he gets to learn everyday while he is translating for the students.

    Sounds like the program is a very exciting opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of the above. As a fairly objective observer who only knows what you choose to post about, I think it sounds like a fantastic plan! It seems like being a teacher in Ontario isn't really working out for you (not because of you of course but just the job market). SO...as long as you think the job prospects are good, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't want to do it. What's the downside?

    ReplyDelete
  7. DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

    It'll be great for your career. It's free. It's something you are interested in. And what a great skill to learn!

    Why are you hesitant? Are you worried about the courseload/work? You're living at home now right? When will you have the opportunity to NOT worry about making rent? Do it do it do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's holding me back?

    I'm not entirely sure of the job prospects in Deaf Education if I do complete the course. I've already done FIVE years of university and have two degrees and only a part-time supply job to show for it. I don't want to do another year and still be in the same place.

    I also am not a big fan of the city. No offence!! But it's expensive and busy and driving in it stresses me out. Living in Toronto for a year will be expensive.

    I'm also getting old. Do I really want to spend another year going to school? I'll be close to 27 by the time the course is complete.

    I'm worried about having no income for a year. I doubt I would be able to get OSAP since there is no tuition.

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE ASL. I LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching. This is a course that would make me qualified to combine two of my passions. That is why I still think I will at least apply and see what happens.

    I signed up for a weekend ASL course today that takes place in two weeks, SUPER EXCITED!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LoL I'm laughing at the "you're getting old" comment. I wasn't finished with my education and getting the job I wanted until I was 30. In fact, I turned the 30 the day I drove in my UHaul to my new job. I started it two days later.

    Finishing this program at 27 is still very quick. =)

    And yah, you won't be able to know what the future job prospects are - but no one can predict what will happen whether you do it or not. You seem to absolutely love ASL, so pursue it. Stop talking yourself out of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete